There is an old saying, “Better Late than Never”. However, this is not the case when making decisions that will affect the happiness as a married couple. Here is a list we created for 7 big decisions before getting married.
Decisions Before Getting Married
- Checking account. Will you have separate checking accounts to pay bills or one account and both has money deposited into the account to join as one. Whose account will you use and has better offerings? Will you also have separate or joint checking accounts?
- Bride’s Name Change. Does the bride take the last name of the groom? Does she have a professional career that would be hurt by the name change and make a better decision to stay with her maiden name? Does the bride prefer a hyphenated name – the bride’s maiden name is followed by a hyphen and then the groom’s last name.
- Paying Bills. One pays abc bills and the other pays xyz bills? Do you combine your money into one checking account and pay all bills from the one account where all the income is deposited? Do you pay bills based upon how much each brings home on their paychecks?
- Insurance. You will save more money by combining accounts. Insurance for life, car, mortgage and health insurance. Review who the beneficiaries are on each account.
- Kids. This should be number one on the list. Do you want kids right away or enjoy your new life together as a couple and then kids. This should be decided even before the engagement.
- Home Ownership. There is no sense in paying for two rental properties or two mortgages. Whose home will you live. Maybe you want to move into a new place? Rent a home or apartment? Buy a home, townhouse, etc. What part of town works best for each traveling to work. What school district will your kids be zoned?
- Religion. Are either of the bride are groom practicing their faith? Which church will each attend and which will the kids attend?
Founder at WeddingMuseum.com
In 2015 Matt updated his first eBook, Wedding Music eBook: Wedding Song Ideas For Your Wedding & Reception.He owned/operated a mobile DJ service in Montana where he found his love of music and weddings.Matt strives to offer a music resource to brides and grooms planning their wedding songs.
Latest posts by Matthew Campbell (see all)
- Kenny Rogers Love Songs for Weddings - November 27, 2016
- James Taylor Love Songs For Weddings To Play And Avoid - November 20, 2016
- Saxophone Wedding Songs By 11 Great Saxophonists - October 30, 2016
You may also like...